Thursday, September 28, 2006

T.F.I. Nearly Friday

Lord knows this week has been kind to me, but it's also drained so much energy out of me I'll probably need one big stinkin' nap before I do anything this weekend.

Today was among the more hectic of the last four days, beginning with my late arrival to the panel on the future of print media. With the exception of the sweet-ass short film festival I got to attend on Tuesday (complete with free well drinks afterward) it was my favorite Advertising Week event of the week. I'm going to miss getting paid to go to awesome venues across the city in Tribeca, Chelsea and Times Square and eat free food and listen to really important people talk about less than interesting things.

What I will not miss is the tremendous amount of work-related stress going to all of these has put me through. So far I've covered seven events, with two more to finish things off tomorrow. Add to that two MediaWorks stories and my long-awaited feature for next week's book and I will have written TWELVE articles this week. That's a dozen! And you can't even fry, hardboil or scramble them either for a sandwich later...

My diversity feature impressed the M.E. so much she decided to make it Monday's cover story, which is both very exciting and anti-clmactic. Sure, I'm proud of the reporting I did for the piece and definitely think it presents some new information, but it wasn't my idea, nor did I really shape much of the story itself on my own. It was all kinda strongarmed either by the features editor or my contacts at City Tech. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but I'm reserving my utmost pride for the cover story I write that's based on my own ideas and source gathering.

Having said that, apparently I'm the very second intern to have a story run on the cover. Who was the first? Well, now she edits the Digital section for us, so that would seem to bode well for my chance at employment, right? We'll see...

Luckily, I didn't even have to wait for the weekend to reward myself for my immense productivity this week. Regina Spektor took care of that with the show I just caught at Town Hall tonight. It's a no-brainer: she put on one of the best female shows you're likely to see this year.

There just aren't too many singers — male or female — who can completely capture an audience's attention and interest with nothing but vocals and a piano for 45 minutes straight. Playing a lot of new material, no less. But Regina's songs are all so cleverly humorous (one of the new ones was about keeping a statue of the baby Jesus in her closet and feeding it bread and water), melodically intricate and damn well sung it's impossible to find her anything less than captivating. By the time she brought out the band for the second half, it was on like Donkey Kong. And "Samson" was just as heartbreaking to see live as it is to listen to.

I end this still in one of the most optimisitc moods I've been in all year, let alone since arriving in New York. I could not be more content with my social or professional lives at the moment, and am considerably less worried about my academics even though they remain unresolved. I'm still working on the romantic part, but perhaps I'll have some luck at the "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" sreening with John Cameron Mitchell I'm plannin on attending Saturday night!

No comments: