Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The stars at night, are big and bright [clap clap clap clap] deep in the heart of Times Square

Today's "Dancing with the Stars" insane-a-thon was even more hysterical than it sounds on paper.

First of all, they weren't kidding when they said they'd have stars all across the city. I encountered them three times before I had even met up with the account manager at the Richard Rogers Theatre at noon. The stars were prepared to dance to pretty much anything -- cha cha, swing, even fiddle. As one of the street teamers scaremed out, "Dancing with the Stars, tonight at 8 on ABC! Be there or be square-danced!" I made sure to put it in my article today, too, for which I also made my photography debut due to web deadlines.

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=111815

And, since this assignment was rife with puns, I could say I was shooting stars all morning.

What was even more awesome than the sight of stars dancing on top of a theatre, Hard Rock, double decker bus and with a fiddle player in a subway was being on the set of "Good Morning America." Right behind Diane Sawyer, who was impeccably blond and gorgeous in person despite her unfortunate leopard-print skirt.

It's so weird to watch newspeople off-camera (as the voyeuristic window of the GMA studio allows you to do), though. They were airing a totally bizarre cooking segment with Justin Timberlake where he baked a blueberry crunch cake with his grandma, but intercut the footage with clips from the "SexyBack" video. So one moment it was, "OK Grandma, let's put the cake in the oven," cut to: "Go 'head be gone with it." I half-expected him to say at one point, "Uh oh grandma, I think you have something on your blouse." [camera cuts away a la Janet Jackson at Super Bowl.]

So while they're showing all the Timber-cake footage, the anchors are distributing samples of their very own Grandma dessert, complete with Sawyer flittering around good-naturedly to make sure each member of the studio audience was pleased with their dessert. As fabulous Claire said, "She looks beautiful, but there's still something a bit treacly about her."

All in all, it was one zany morning, and one I should only hope to top as the season progresses. With today's job interview still ahead of me, I can at least hope for one more good story to come out of the day.

No comments: