Sunday, September 10, 2006

Counting the stars

What a uniquely New York weekend.

I'm too tired right now to recount all the details, but here's a summary.

Went to the Empire State Building on Friday despite my initial reservation to doing anything touristy during my first few months here. I mean, I had to compare the view at night to the Eiffel Tower, right?

Saturday I got a new pair of jeans for 25 un-freakin-belieavble dollars at Mexx in SoHo. What's even more amazing than the price and the quality of the jeans is the size — 32, bitches! This whole less-money/more-walking approach to New York living has prompted me to eat less in order to save money and end up sweating off more weight in long commutes. I have already dropped a full jeans size since moving here three weeks ago, with no signs of the pound-droppage letting up anytime soon. Hurrah!

That night I saw "Sherrybaby" with Joey on the Upper East Side and Maggie Gyllenhaal did a Q&A with the audience afterward. She was crazy preggers (8.9 months, by the looks of it) and very candid. I'm just disappointed no one asked her, "If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say to you at the pearly gates?"

We then went on a whirlwind run through St. Mark's in the Village and stopped for drinks at the Yaffa Cafe, breezed through Phoenix and sang a Pink song at this karaoke bar on Avenue A. I got mad props from a few gays who were singing along.

Today, I mostly took it easy with my ginormous Sunday times and spot of homework for my new (and absolutely final) online class, Technical Writing. I finally left the dorm for an extended period for my second attempt to get free tickets to see Amy Poehler and Horatio Sanz in ASSSCAT 3000 at the UCB. This time, it worked, even though you have have to get there by 6:45 to get the free passes at 8:30. Oh well...Daniel kept me entertained with his many impressions, "Friends" quotes and Celine Dion references.

As for ASSSCAT itself, Poehler was a no-show (boo, that whore!) But Horatio was there with Jason Sudeikis, a Daily Show writer and a couple dudes who are going to be on the new Tina Fey show 30 Rock. But star wattage aside, I think "The Stepfathers" on Fridays is better.

This week should have many surrpises up its sleeve, and a part-time job interview on Tuesday I can't help but be really excited for. Not only would it be fantastic to actually have spending money, I would really enjoy working at this place, too. So stay tuned, and you may be reading a lot more posts where yesterday's jeans splurge came from. And by "splurge," I of course mean spending money...

No comments: