Monday, September 18, 2006

I love tickets!

Especially when they're free. NBC just called to tell me I won two free tickets to see a dress rehearsal of SNL on Nov. 11, which is four days after my birthday. So Happy Early Birthday to me!

In fact, I've gotten a series of other birthday-related tickets lately. I realized early this month that all I'm really going to want at my age and in my financial and geographical situation is to see a couple concerts for my 23rd. So my mom went ahead and gave me free reign of $100 (an amount of money I sadly have not been able to spend all at once for weeks now) to use on concert tix of my liking.

So I put it toward the Regina Spektor show next week at Town Hall and the Goldfrapp show at Roseland next month, which is her only US date on the entire fall tour. After all the stupid convenience and shipping charges, I was only left with $20 or so, which I spent on the new Amy Millan (from Stars and Broken Social Scene) CD and haven't stopped listening to it since. The first five tracks are all insta-classics, particularly "Losin' You." She's playing two shows at Joe's Pub next month, so assuming I can hold onto $13 by then I can probably just show up and catch her there.

But that's not all the free tickets I have lined up. Kelly and Logan arrive this weekend for what is sure to be my most exciting three days in the city yet, and with them come free tix to "The Daily Show" next Monday. I can't imagine a cooler show for me to lose my studio audience virginity. I have no idea who the guest is, although apparently if we were there tonight it's Bill Clinton. But there's a dude in my building who interns there (we call him "Daily Show Dave") so he can give me the scoop.

Also, perhaps most exciting of all in the realm of free tickets, I'm seeing the Rollign Stones and Kanye next week!!! One of the many joys of a friendship with the fantastic Amy Mitten is the reckless abandon with which she spends her inheritance on cab fare, nice dinners and her friends. If any other friend had asked me if I wanted to see the Stones with them, it would have required months of planning and saving just to be able to afford the concert and make it there on time. With Amy, it was "Do you want to go?" and "We can totally get a car service to take us to Jersey." Granted, the seats are nosebleed, but it's Giants Stadium, where they're certain to have at least five Jumbo-trons, and it's the mothafuckin' Rolling Stones. They're perhaps the only classic rock band that is both still together and has all its importnat founding members still alive and kicking, a claim Pink Floyd, The Beatles The Who and Led Zeppelin cannot make.

But the free ticket that is the most significant to me in terms of fulfillment of a lifelong dream is the one I have reserved on Oct. 20. That is the day I will be sitting in the studio audience for a taping and after-show audition for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," still hosted by the untouchable Meredith Veiera. Ever since my days of faking sick in kinergarten so I could go home early to watch "Price Is Right," "Name That Tune" and "Press Your Luck," I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted to be a contestant on a game show. And now that I'm piss poor, to win even $1,000 would be amazing, let alone on national television with my absolute favorite daytime talk show hostess.

New York City may be killing my wallet, but just like in life, the best things are free!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sincere apologies for not commenting on ur blog sooner.. honestly not gonna lie i completely forgot about its existence. I can not believe you get to see all of those concerts and shows. I dont even want to read your blogs anymore because i am totally jealous. I am pretty sure we have completely lost you to the NYC life and I should never expect you to return to your rural roots any time soon.

Hello Kitty Megan said...

You want a comment on your blog?Here's one: Who Wants to be a fucking Millionaire???? Geez, Andrew, I wouldn't have guessed that would be at the top of your list. Here I am, trying to act like I give a shit about the damn Green Bay Packers, and you get to see the freaking Rolling Stones, yet all you seem to really care about is Meredith Vieira?? Dear roommate, you are officially gay.

Hello Kitty Megan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

Ah Andrew I am so incredibly jealous of you and getting to see so many concerts...my bank account is limited until next month's paycheck (damn rent) but I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of good shows before 2006 is over (Amy Millan with Damien Jurado is coming at the end of the month, and We are Scientists are coming in October, along with Panic! At the Disco and Block Party in November (which is in a pavillon where they transform the general admission to being on a big dance floor) - quite excited, let me know what other artists/shows I should be looking for...ah I love living near a big city, absolutely love it. Tell Amy if she ever has some extra money she doesn't know what to do with - she can always fly me out to NYC and I will (very willingly) be her concert and photo slave for however long she needs me :)
Ah I miss you guys! By the way, Pritha - I never got to (soberly) thank you for saving my life that night of the 80's party...lol, thanks once again...okay back to work

Melissa said...

By the way - I was in the "Price is Right" audience a few years ago when we went to go visit my friend Pete, amazing...very long day, we actually slept on the LA streets the night before to get good seats, but totally worth losing my game show audience virginity to. I was on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" the Disney version in Disney World with my brother a few years ago, does that count? Lol, yeah I'm a dork...have fun :)